Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Genesis 3: Lessons from temptation

22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
                Reading the chapter from the start, I thought, why did even God put a tree of life there? Why did he allow a snake to tempt Eve and eventually let Adam fall for it to? Come to think of it, God has total control of what can happen in the past right? So why the fall of man?
                When we were a child, I remember my Mom bringing me to her office. She had to leave me at the play ground I can play safe while she’s working. But before she leaves she’s tell me not to go anywhere far from the playground and then she leaves.  At first, I’d be so amazed by how fun all the stuff I can do in the playground. But as hours pass, I get bored of them and then come temptation to leave. Even as a child, it is my choice to stay or to leave right? And because of temptation, I left. When its becoming late already, I’d eventually figure out that I’m too far from the playground that I’m lost. Now the consequence of not obeying my mother has just happened. Perhaps that was lunch time; I can be so hungry then. Or it can be raining and I dint know where to go anymore. Eventually my mother would find me and then punish me for that disobedience. The next time she works, she knows she won’t be leaving me in the playground anymore. I’d probably left in a boring library or worst, she might not even bring me to her work anymore. But from that moment on, I know that when she brings me back to the playground, I won’t be leaving far from it anymore. Why? BECAUSE I LEARNED FROM THAT TEMPTATION.

                God knew that there will be a fall of man. The bible hasn’t stated there how long it was for Adam and Eve to stay obedient to God until the serpent come right? But after that incident, Adam and Eve has already learned from that mistake. The punishment brought by God to man was not the only one passed on to all generations. We must see more than that. There is a real reason, a lesson that was passed on from the story and it lives until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment